Central of Chennai- Chennai Central
The Madras Railway Company originated to connect South India in 1856 and their first dominant terminal was at Royapuram. Later, the railway line was extended which led to the existence of Madras Central in 1873. The Madras Central became the important hub in 1907, after which Royapuram was no longer the railway hub. The railway line was extended till Chennai Beach. In 1908, the Madras and Southern Maharatta Railway Company owned the Madras Central from Madras Railway Company. The plan about the linking of Chennai Central and Egmore was dropped out and in May 1931, a sub urban electric train from Madras Beach to Tambaram was operated.
The Chennai Central railway station was built in the Gothic Revival style, designed by George Harding. The station was altered by Robert Fellowes Chisholm with the addition of clock tower. The terminus has totally 15 platforms in which 3 platforms are for sub urban trains. Basin bridge is a railway junction where three railway lines meet.
Chennai was formerly known as Madras and Chennai Central is the dominant railway terminal in Chennai. It is one of the most important places in the city. Chennai has mainly 3 important railway networks and one of them is Chennai Central. It connects with the north and the west line. The central station is maintained well with medical care centers and also has parking facilities. In addition to this it also has restaurants, book shops etc. The main entrance of the station is at Park Town and it is 19km from Chennai Airport. Chennai Central is the important landmark of Chennai.