The Fort St. George-The Symbol of Royal History!
An initiation for the settle of East India company was laid in the shores of the Madras by erecting a business center . In late 1644 on behalf of the company, a piece of land between the cooum and the Bay of Bengal was procured and established a fortified structure. The building was named after St. George of London on his memory. An adjoined construction in 1680 was the St. Mary’s Church, the first Anglican Church of the country. The complete Records from the establishment to till date is maintained and to be notified that the first marriage entry is that of Elihu Yale, after whom the Yale University of America is named, to Catherine Himmers on Nov 4th 1680.
The Church is considered to be one of the oldest remaining construction in the nation. Current Fort Museum was added in 1790 as public Exchange by Free Merchants, who engaged in private trade. Interestingly, the Fort Museum building is used as the First Light House of the City till 1841. The building is used for various customs across the rule of British which was turned into Fort Museum in 1948. The museum is being a treasury and encloses thousands of historical notes and things which voices the Royal history. Even you can find the Marriage note of Robert Clive, a notified Governor General of India. Currently, The Fort St. George serves as the administrative headquarters for the Legislative assembly of Tamil Nadu state and enjoys its pride. The Flag staff which was erected in the fort George is considered to be second highest in the country, across 150 feet high. The building with glorified history is enjoying its highness from the time of established and till now being significant place in the political world. An icon of the city Fort St. George !