VEN PONGAL- A Feast on the eve of Pongal
Ven Pongal is a famous dish cooked in all the houses during the Pongal festival. It is also known as khara Pongal, which is one of the popular south Indian foods, offered to the GODS as naivedyam during festivals and auspicious days. It is not only a tasty food item but also a healthy protein rich diet.
1. ½ Cup raw rice
2. ½ Cup split moong dal
3. 2-4 Cups of water
2 Tablespoon ghee
2 Table spoon oil
2 Tablespoon broken cashews
1 teaspoon chopped Ginger
1 teaspoon pepper seeds
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
Salt to taste.
1. Soak the ½ cup of rice in water. Dry roast the ½ cup of Dal in a pressure cooker until the aroma comes out.
2. Add Rice and Dal together in a pressure cooker with 2-4 cups of water and pressure cook it for 10-15 minutes in a low flame.
3. Add ghee to a pan and fry the cashew nuts until they become golden brown.
4. To make the seasoning add chopped ginger, cumin seeds, curry leaves to the same pan and roast it for half a minute.
5. Now add the cooked rice-dal mixture to the cashew nuts and the seasoning and mix it well in a low flame. Add salt according to the requirement.
6. Remove the heat and now the tasty Ven Pongal is ready.