Fort St George is the name of the first English fortress in India, founded in 1644 at the coastal city of Madras, the modern city of Chennai.
The Fort St. George Museum was organised and opened to the public from 31st January 1948. The museum began with a small collection of objects of the British Raj donated by the then Madras Presidency Government, the St. Mary’s Church authorities, the disbanded army units and others. Over the years many objects were acquired by various means and there are now 3661 registered antiquities in the collection. Best among them (602) are on display in ten galleries.
The building housing the museum is one of the oldest surviving buildings built within the fort. The building was completed in 1795 and served as the location for Madras Bank. The museum building has a history of its own.
Arms like swords, daggers, rifles and pistols, mortars, petard, cannon shots, breast plates, helmets, baton, and fragments of shells fired at and in defence of Madras during the freak attacks during the World Wars, besides native weapons like bow and arrow.
The importance of the fort has not been undermined till date, as it still serves as an important base for the Indian Army. After Independence, the Archaeological Survey of India declared the fort as a protected monument. Today, the building is more of a mansion where the Tamil Nadu Government’s administrative branches and legislative assembly are housed.
Timing of Visit Fort Museum St. George, Chennai,India
- Timings of visit: 09.00 am to 5.00 pm.
- Closed on – Friday
- Entrance Fee:
- For Indians: Rs. 5/-
- For Others: US $ 2 or Rs. 100/-
- (Children up to 15 years free)